Are you one of those guitarists whose right arm is waggling about without structure or who plays every song in your one and only rhythm?!
To help guitarists to improve rhythm playing with a simple, step by step, structured method we invented 8strummer.
Move from this…
“I’ve been playing guitar for years – I know all the chords but my rhythms stinks!” A common complaint.
“I’ve been a metronome all my life. If you set the groove it ain’t going to go nowhere.” Legendary guitarist Steve Cropper. (Dock of the Bay, Midnight Hour, Blues Brothers).
Understand rhythm and you will be a better guitarist!
Be the first to experience the
brand new iPhone App
8 Strummer will help you to:
• practice and improve your rhythm guitar skills
• write songs
• prime your rhythm guitar skills
• hear and internalize rhythm patterns
• feel the combination of down and up strums that make the rhythm pattern happen
8strummer is …
• A rhythm guitar primer;
• A vital resource for practising and improving rhythm guitar skills;
• A useful song-writing tool.
Strumming in 8ths is…
• 4 down-strums on the numbered beats
• 4 up-strums on the ‘ands’:
• 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & = down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up.
IMPORTANT – Keep your right hand moving up and down in 8th notes – even on rest strokes.
Pick a chord from the basic open-string triads: C, G, D, A, E, Em, Am, Dm
Chose the number of rests.
• 0 rests means playing on all 4 down-strums and all 4 up-strums – there is only one possible pattern.
• 1 rest – there are 8 possible permutations; the rest stroke can appear on each of the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
• 2 rests – 28 permutations
• 3 rests – 56 permutations
• 4 rests – 70 permutations
• 5 rests – 56 permutations
• 6 rests – 28 permutations
• 7 rests – 8 permutations
Total of 254 different 8ths rhythm patterns available in 8strummer
Practise a pattern by repetition.
Looping a rhythm helps you to…
• Internalize it;
• Hear it;
• Feel the combination of down and up strums that make the rhythm pattern happen.
Save your favourite patterns.
If you have tried the 8strummer out and it helps it would be great to hear from you, or I you can review it on iTunes.