The Stage 4 advanced II course builds on skills examined on previous levels. The aim is to increase confidence in performance and develop accompaniment skills as second guitarist.
A further 23 songs in a variety of styles are added to the repertoire.
Aspects covered on the course include:
• Revision of material from previous levels: diatonic 7th chords Keys of C, G, D, A, E; slash chords; pedal tones.
• Triads – Major, minor, sus2, sus4, diminished, augmented, “partial chords”
• 7th Chord Transformation – Maj7, m7, 7, ø7, o7
• Bo Diddley rhythm + variation
• Pentatonic scale, 5 positions – major, minor, blues. Using the scale in different keys
• From pentatonic to diatonic.
• Articulation: Hammer-on, pull-off, slide, vibrato string bends, double stops, guide tones
• Finger picking styles
• Playing Hymns
Later on in the course there will be an introduction to some techniques of songwriting. Students will get chance to perform in front of the group. There will also be a guest speaker.
Advanced II course: objective
By the end of the ten weeks the advanced II guitarist should be comfortable as an accompanist and have the skills to make a musical contribution in an ensemble setting.